Whenever I roll a new Ally toon, I usually make it a point to get the Robby Flay quest to run around Stormwind collecting apples.
The apples look so good — if it were a real quest, I have to wonder how many of those apples would actually make it back to Ol’ Robby, or would I just make sure I picked up a few more for my own personal consumption?
Knowing me, I would probably just gather the extra apples, and probably make a few pies.
And I would make them just like this…
4 medium apples
4 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Chilled pie dough, rolled out about 1/8 inch thick
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/ 180ºC.
2. Wash the apples well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Set on a cutting board.
3. Cut a lid into each apple, and remove the tops. With a small sharp knife, carve out the core and seeds (without piercing the bottoms of the apples).
4. Using a small spoon, carefully scrape out the insides of the apple until an apple cup is formed. Save the pulp in a small bowl for the filling. Rub a tiny bit of lemon juice on the insides of each apple to prevent them from turning brown.
5. Dice and peel the lids very finely. Toss out the stems. Put the peeled and diced lid bits into the pulp bowl.
6. Mix the sugar, flour and ground cinnamon into the apple pulp until well blended.
7. Spoon the filling back into each apple. Fill about 3/4 of the way to prevent spillage of filling while baking.
8. Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture/ sweetness to the pie.
9. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
Place apples in an 8×8 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
10.Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
11. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.